A COUNTRY THAT WORKS TOGETHER…STAYS TOGETHER.
THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO SAVE WATER – As a team, WE can beat the stream… of water wastage!
Due to poor winter rainfall, residents need to take special care to save water however possible they can. Here are a couple of tips for at home, in the garden and in the commercial sector.
Water saving measures at home:
- Shower rather than bathing. Switch tap off when lathering with soap…only switch on again when you rinse it off.
- Make sure that your dishwasher and washing machine is full before you start up a load.
- Flushing of toilet – place a 2L plastic bottle full of water in the water cistern of your toilet. – It could save you 7 300L of water per year!
- When washing dishes by hand, do not leave the water running when rinsing. Fill the twin tubs with soapy and clean water. One to wash, and the other to rinse.
- Install a system to pump your grey water to the garden.
In the garden:
- Plant FATPLANTS>>> they require little no water.
- Put a covering layer around trees and plants. Will soak up water.
- You are only allowed to water your garden once a day on the designated days for your area.
- Water at sunrise and sunset…the best time to do so is sunset as plants have more time to soak up the water.
- Make sure your taps aren’t dripping – this amounts to terrible water loss!
In the industrial & commercial sector:
- Ensure that people are aware of how to report major water losses from leaking or damaged pipes and hoses.
- Encourage the staff to report and look out for dripping taps and leaking toilets.
- Appoint a person to track water usage.
- Close taps lightly and get washers replaced when leaks are discovered.
By Lulu Le Roux